Institute of Virology
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Ulf Dittmer
+49 (0) 201-723-35 50
+49 (0) 201-723-68 50
Prof. Dr. med. Sandra Ciesek
The Institute of Virology offers a comprehensive range of diagnostic tests for viral infections. It services not only Essen University Hospital but also numerous other institutes supplying samples by mail.
- Reactivation of viral infections under immune suppression (e.g., following organ and bone marrow transplants)
- Viral hepatitis (hepatitis A, B, C, and D)
- Respiratory infection and rabies
Another important field involves consultations on diagnostics, epidemiology and prevention of infections.
The Institute supplies reference viral strains for the evaluation of typing methods on a molecular basis (HCV genotyping panel). A more detailed characterization of HCV isolates is provided by the German National Reference Center for Hepatitis C.
Vaccination counseling for travelers by prior appointment: Tuesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Fields of Research
Pathogenesis and prevention of viral hepatitis and retroviral infections:
- Development of therapeutic vaccines for chronic hepatitis B and C
- Elucidation of basic mechanisms of immune response in retroviral infections
The Institute employs 7 scientists including 5 physicians (2 laboratory medicine specialists, 1 specialist each in microbiology, virology, infection epidemiology).
Advanced specialized medical expertise at the Institute is in laboratory medicine, microbiology, virology, infection epidemiology, clinical chemistry, molecular biology, and immunology.